the trustees of reservations
On The Land
The Trustees of Reservations

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Environmental laws to keep in mind

(Image from MA EOEEA)
In addition to following their conservation restriction, every landowner should keep in mind whether an activity they plan to undertake requires approval under the Wetlands Protection Act (WPA), zoning bylaws, or any other federal, state and local law. Landowers should pay particular attention to the WPA, which protects wetlands and the public interests they serve, including flood control, prevention of pollution and storm damage, and water supplies, fisheries, and wildlife habitat. These public interests are protected by requiring a careful review of proposed work that may alter wetlands. The law protects not only wetlands, but other resource areas, such as land subject to flooding (100-year floodplains), the riverfront area (added by the Rivers Protection Act), and land under water bodies, waterways, salt ponds, fish runs, and the ocean.

The following information is provided to help you understand whether an activity is subject to any law or regulation and where to go for more information: 

Wetlands and Waterways
Where to go for more information
Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EOEEA)
DEP (Department of Environmental Protection); DCR (Department of Conservation and Recreation); DFW (Division of Fish and Game);

No comments: